Kris Umlauf Helps to Preserve Austin and Assist Women and Children.
Kris Umlauf recently donated to two impactful Austin nonprofit organizations. Kris recently sold her home in Lakewood and purchased a home in Brentwood using Give Realty. She chose this North Central neighborhood for the unique vibe, residents, and the proximity to downtown. Umlauf, a seven-year resident of Austin, cares deeply for not only the city of Austin but also helping Austin residents in need. This connection provoked Umlauf’s donation through Give Realty to both the Heritage Society and Safeplace.
Heritage Society’s mission is to promote Austin’s diverse cultural heritage through the preservation of historic places. Kris Umlauf is a member of Heritage Society’s Waterloo Society. Umlauf identified with this mission after learning that many Austin landmarks had been torn down because of lack of funds to maintain properties. Heritage Society has preserved 300 historic properties, including Austin treasures like the Driskill Hotel, Paramount Theater, Governor’s Mansion, Laguna Gloria, and many private residences.
Heritage Society is grateful for the on-going support of their mission made possible in part by Kris Umlauf. “Through her involvement, Kris has provided us both critical financial support that allows our on-going vigilance in monitoring and advocating for threatened properties,” says Jacqui Schraad, Heritage Society executive director.
Kris not only has helped to preserve the landmarks of Austin, but also to provide assistance to the women and children of Austin who have suffered from abuse. Umlauf has a personal connection and history with the nonprofit organization Safeplace as an advocate and volunteer. Safeplace aims to end sexual and domestic violence through safety, healing, prevention and social change. “I found value in assisting abused women and children needing assistance to better their circumstances,” says Umlauf.
These two donations made by Give Realty on behalf of Kris Umlauf will go a long way in helping the residents and landmarks of Austin. Umlauf’s donations will help the development of a downloadable historic tour application that will feature tours of Austin’s historic downtown and neighborhoods and provide assistance for abused women and children in Austin to improve their circumstances.
Interestingly, Kris was Laurie’s first real estate client in 2005 when Kris relocated to Austin from California.
Three Ways to Help Heritage Society
- Become a Member. Join our membership to provide financial support, get educated about the benefits and tools of preservation, and actively help us advocate to save historic Austin.
- Advocate. Join our e-mail list and Facebook to respond to our “Call to Action” to contact elected officials when properties and historic resources are threatened.
- Volunteer. Get involved and make preservation a priority for your own neighborhood association.
Three Ways to Help SafePlace
- Volunteer. SafePlace needs volunteers in direct positions, which are highly confidential and work with directly with survivors and children and represent SafePlace in the community. Volunteers for non-direct positions are also needed, which may involve administrative duties, assisting at the Charter School or Daycare, or providing workshops for Life Skills classes. They even need volunteers to help to foster pets of families in shelter!
- Donate. Visit safeplace.org to donate directly online and to check out other opportunities to give. SafePlace is always in need of new and gently used items for its shelter, and is currently experiencing a critical shortage of baby wipes and diapers sizes 4-6.
- Spread the Word. Tell everyone you know about SafePlace. A good place to start would be to ‘like’ SafePlace on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SafePlace.EndingSAandDV and stay in touch.